Oxiracetam users report improvement in a multitude of different cognitive functions, including attention span, capacity for learning, concentration, focus, logical thinking, sensory perception and technical thinking. In addition, the supplement increases level of alertness, mental energy and motivation by acting much like a stimulant.
Oxiracetam is derived from Piracetam, but with 5 times the potency. Although this synthetically derived supplement does have stimulant properties, Oxiracetam does not cause the agitated feeling like many other stimulants. Its effects seem to be more mild and smooth acting than a typical stimulant.
This supplement has been studied at length as a possible treatment for the kind of memory problems people with Alzheimer’s disease suffer from as well as a treatment for other types of neurological disorders. Research on Oxiracetam does show there is some hope that it could be effective for treating memory loss, and indeed there is even some evidence that it might be helpful in restoring lost memories.
People who take Oxiracetam have reported an improvement in their ability to form memories, to retain them and in the speed in which they can recall them. This has helped users when studying for and taking exams, especially in math and subjects requiring logical thinking.
Improved Ability to Learn
Those who have used Oxiracetam agree that taking this supplement has made learning much easier and faster.
Stronger Concentration and Better Focus
Many people use Racetams to help them concentrate on a particular subject for a longer time without becoming distracted. However, the potency of Oxiracetam makes it a favorite among students, especially when it’s time for exams.
More Acute Sensory Perception
Many who take Oxiracetam claim their senses become more acute, that the sounds they hear seem deeper with more complexities, and visually they see colors as being more vibrant with increased contrast between shades.
Enhanced Mental and Physical Energy
Oxiracetam gently stimulates the central nervous system, providing more mental and physical energy but without causing the normal jitters that you would get by using amphetamines or other types of stimulants affecting the CNS.
How Oxiracetam Works
Cognitive functions in the brain are enhanced because Oxiracetam targets the specific receptor sites for the neurotransmitters that directly control the production and release of the chemicals in the brain responsible for cognitive ability.
Oxiracetam has an effect on both the glutamatergic and the cholinergic systems, directly controlling the release of glutamate and acetylcholine, two vital neurotransmitters for learning, memory and overall cognitive ability.
This supplement mildly stimulates the central nervous system, which may be due to it being an ampakine, the kind of compound that influences glutamatergic AMPA receptors. Although these are stimulants, they seem to lack the adverse side effects of most stimulants, such as nervousness and sleep troubles, which are commonly associated with stimulants like caffeine, methylphenidate (or Ritalin), and amphetamines.
Oxiracetam is easily absorbed into the body through the gastrointestinal tract since it is water-soluble. It is at its peak levels within the body 1 to 3 hours of being ingested, crossing the blood/brain barrier within the first hour of being ingested. Its half-life is a relatively long 8 to 10 hours.
How to Take Oxiracetam
The suggested dosage is in three evenly spread doses of 400mg to 800mg (totaling 1200mg – 2400mg per day). The best time to take it is an hour before a cognitively demanding task or learning activity.
Studies show that it makes no difference if it is taken on an empty stomach or with a meal.
Although uncommon, some minor side effects such as headaches, irritability, and restlessness have been reported. This is usually due to higher dosages. Simply decreasing your dosage may alleviate these effects.
Best Places to Buy Oxiracetam
Oxiracetam is among the most widely used nootropics. It works very well for people who want to boost their mental acuity and energy so they can better assimilate and process information for long periods of time. This would include researchers, students and writers among others.
Oxiracetam has not demonstrated any problems with safety, it is non-toxic even when taken in high doses and has not been linked with any serious adverse side effects. It seems to work very well when taken alone or when combined with other nutritional supplements. Many believe this to be a vital component of any nootropic stack.
- Mondadori C, Möbius HJ, Borkowski J The GABAB receptor antagonist CGP 36,742 and the nootropic oxiracetam facilitate the formation of long-term memory . Behav Brain Res. (1996)
- Marchi M, Besana E, Raiteri M Oxiracetam increases the release of endogenous glutamate from depolarized rat hippocampal slices . Eur J Pharmacol. (1990)
- Son J, et al Rapid quantitative analysis of oxiracetam in human plasma by liquid chromatography/electrospray tandem mass spectrometry . J Pharm Biomed Anal. (2004)
- Raiteri M, Costa R, Marchi M Effects of oxiracetam on neurotransmitter release from rat hippocampus slices and synaptosomes . Neurosci Lett. (1992)
- Spignoli G, Pepeu G Interactions between oxiracetam, aniracetam and scopolamine on behavior and brain acetylcholine . Pharmacol Biochem Behav. (1987)
- Fordyce DE, et al Enhancement of hippocampally-mediated learning and protein kinase C activity by oxiracetam in learning-impaired DBA/2 mice . Brain Res. (1995)
- Mondadori C, et al Effects of oxiracetam on learning and memory in animals: comparison with piracetam . Clin Neuropharmacol. (1986)
- Magnani M, et al Oxiracetam antagonizes the disruptive effects of scopolamine on memory in the radial maze . Psychopharmacology (Berl). (1992)
- Cavoy A, Van Golf-Racht B, Delacour J Relationships between arousal and cognition-enhancing effects of oxiracetam . Pharmacol Biochem Behav. (1994)
- Preda L, et al Effects of acute doses of oxiracetam in the scopolamine model of human amnesia . Psychopharmacology (Berl). (1993)